These healthier, flourless mocha brownies have a secret ingredient. Who knew the little ol’ bean was so versatile?
I think it was about a year ago when I jotted down a recipe for the garbanzo bean brownies my sister had made and raved about. I was dubious. I humored her. I lost that scrap of paper with the recipe. No biggie. But when the Sunday Supper theme of “Beantastic” came up, guess what came to mind? Yes, I was ready to make a dessert with beans.
Chocolate + Coffee = Heaven
I need to be very cautious about adding coffee to any of my chocolate desserts. I can get away with Kahlua, a coffee liqueur, but the hubby takes umbrage when I’m heavy handed with the espresso powder. The addition of coffee is ideal for accentuating the flavor of chocolate—and I knew these bean brownies might need a little boost in that department. You can add as much as 2 tablespoons of instant coffee for a bold mocha flavor, but 2 teaspoons will offer a subtle, yet satisfying coffee undertone. I packed some goodies in my suitcase on a recent trip to Denver, including these bean brownies. I knew my sister, Katie, loved them (she’s a yoga instructor, crunchy granola type), but would my youngest sister give her approval? Yup, Maddy was definitely a fan. The texture is dense and fudgy, maybe a touch different from your classic brownie, but without any clue that there was a can of beans used instead of flour. There is one caveat. I found them difficult to slice as they have a thin crumbly crust over the dense center. If you’re looking for a healthier way to get your chocolate fix, you’ll definitely want to make a batch of these Flourless Mocha Brownies. We’ll be back to our regularly scheduled high calorie, decadence tomorrow.
Serves: 12-16 servings
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can of garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee (may increase for stronger mocha flavor)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Line 9x9 baking pan with non-stick foil or spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Gently microwave chocolate till melted and smooth. Cool slightly.
- Add beans, eggs, instant coffee, oil and vanilla to food processor. Process till smooth.
- Add brown sugar, baking powder and salt and process till combined, scraping down sides as needed. Blend in chocolate.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth the surface with an offset spatula. Bake 30-35 minutes or till toothpick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs. Don't overbake. Cool completely, then cut and serve.
More Magnificent Bean Recipes from the Sunday Supper Crew:
Thanks to my friend Tammi, of Momma’s Meals, for hosting our event today!
- Avocado Hummus by Our Good Life
- Bean Ragoût and Crisped Mushrooms by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Black Bean Chili Nachos by Brunch with Joy
- Chickpea Fries (Panisse) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Five Layer Greek Hummus Dip by Food Done Light
- Pizza Roasted Chickpeas by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- White Bean and Basil Spread by Peaceful Cooking
Bean-a-rific Soups and Stews:
- Butternut Squash White Bean Soup by Magnolia Days
- Chickpea and Bean Soup by Momma’s Meals
- Classic Cassoulet by Food Lust People Love
- Navy Bean & Kale Soup by An Appealing Plan
- Navy Bean Soup by The Messy Baker
- Slow Cooker Pork and Bean Stew by Nosh My Way
- Kielbasa and White Bean Soup by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Spicy Sausage, White Bean and Spinach Soup by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Bean and Cornbread Salad by MealDiva
- Clams with Black Beans by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Gluten Free Green Bean Casserole by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Gold Rush Baked Beans by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Maple Brown Sugar Baked Beans by Carrie’s Experimental Kitchen
- Pinto Beans With Cornbread Croutons by Nik Snacks
- Whiskey Bacon Baked Beans by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Incredi-bean Main Meals:
- Arugula Tomato and Beans Flatbread by Family Foodie
- Bean and Bacon Tacos by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Beefy Lima Bean Casserole by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Colombian Red beans – Frisoles Antioquenos by Palatable Pastime
- Italian Beans and Greens by Simply Healthy Family
- Honey-Lime Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos by The Chunky Chef
- One Pot Tuscan Style Garlic Herb Pork Chops by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Orecchiette with White Beans and Swiss Chard by Delaware Girl Eats
- Skillet Black Beans and Pork by Cooking Chat
- Ultimate Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes by Pancake Warriors
- White Bean Ragout, Frisèe, and a Fried Egg by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Amaze-beans Sweet Endings:
- Chocolate Covered Espresso Bean Bark by Love and Confections
- Flourless Almond Joy Cookie Dough Ball by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Flourless Mocha Brownies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gluten-Free Black Bean Brownies by Wallflour Girl
- Gluten-Free Donuts by NinjaBaker
- Pecan Praline Black Bean Brownies by Rhubarb and Honey
- Soy Awesome Cookies 2.0 by What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Coco-Cacao Bean Smoothie by Dandelion Greens
- Sweet Bean Pie by Shockingly Delicious
- Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee by Noshing With The Nolands
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.