If you’re a shortbread fan, these Cranberry Pistachio White Chocolate Shortbread will be a new favorite!
We used to gather for our neighborhood Christmas cookie exchange in the morning, sipping on a cup of tea or coffee with a few nibbles, then gathering a few cookies from each sweet laden platter before heading out to lunch. This year, we shook it up a bit…met later in the day…and had wine and appetizers (my kind of dinner!). These shortbread cookies were my contribution.
When some friends on a foodie board were looking for cookie exchange ideas, this recipe for Cranberry, Pistachio, White Chocolate Shortbread was mentioned. The red cranberries and green pistachios make them festive without any effort. I added white chocolate just because. If you love shortbread…or if you love pistahios….or, heck, if you just love cookies…you need to bake up a batch of these babies. The dough freezes well, so you can keep a roll of it in your freezer for those unexpected guests. A couple of my neighbors are shortbread aficionados, and these Cranberry, Pistachio, White Chocolate Shortbread garnered high praise. I know you’ll become a quick fan, too.
- 2⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pistachios, lightly toasted
- 1¼ cups dried cranberries
- ½ cup white chocolate, chopped into tiny pieces
- Whisk together the flour and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Using a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add the vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir till just mixed. Fold in the pistachios, cranberries and white chocolate into the dough until well distributed.
- Shape the dough into 2 logs about 2 inches in diameter then chill for at least 2 hours and up to 3 days.
- Preheat oven to 325º and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Slice the cookies ¼ to ½ inch thick and place about 1 inch apart on prepared pans. Bake for 16-20 minutes. The cookies are ready when they begin to brown around the edge.