I love a little dab of cranberry sauce with my holiday turkey, but the kids and hubby are anything but fans. Thank goodness for Thanksgiving company on occasion. It gives me the opportunity to whip up something that the home team would typically shun. This recipe is one my mom would throw together for the holidays…I think there are versions with Cool Whip, but we always had the real deal. Whipped cream. We’d also have canned cranberries for my dad and/or a cranberry relish. We did not snub this tart berry one bit.
My boys were willing to give this cranberry fluff a try. They are both in their 20’s and can pack away a LOT of food. And it’s amazing what cooking for themselves did for their taste buds. The two of them mound unbelievable amounts of food on their plates when they’re home, and will now eat nearly anything I cook. My standard overnight fruit salad still is a clear winner, but this sweet-as-dessert salad was well received. The ol’ hubster was still stuck in his pernsnickety rut, though. It’s a miracle he now eats cauliflower. Baby steps…maybe someday cranberries won’t be on his “faux” allergy list.
- 2 cups fresh cranberries, ground in food processor
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 small cans crushed pineapple, well drained
- 1+ cup mini marshmallows
- ¼ cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- Mix together cranberries, sugar and pineapple. Let stand for about a half hour. Fold in marshmallows, pecans and cream. Refrigerate before serving.