It’s the 3rd month for our Chocolate Party hosted by Roxana of Roxana’s Home Baking. This month, our assignment was to combine chocolate with cranberries. I have already made two variations of Starbuck’s Cranberry Bliss Bars, so I roamed around the Internet to see if there was a cookie version. Lo and behold, I located a cookie recipe chock full of dried cranberries, white chocolate chunks, pecans and crystallized ginger…and tweaked it just slightly. Since I’ve never experienced the original Cranberry Bliss, I can’t tell you whether these emulate the flavors of the seasonally featured bars…but I must say they’re darned tasty. In fact, these Cranberry Bliss Cookies are truly the best cookies I’ve made in months, maybe all year…seriously wonderful! You can find my Cranberry Bliss Bar recipes here. But I think these cookies are even better!!! Tip of the Day: The addition of shortening gives these cookies some structure. You can use all butter, but expect a flatter cookie.
- ½ cup butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1¾ cup flour
- ⅔ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup chopped pecans, toasted
- ⅓ cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 8 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line baking sheets with parchment and set aside.
- Cream butter, shortening and sugars. Add egg and vanilla and mix well. Mix in salt and baking soda, then flour. Stir in cranberries, pecans, ginger and white chocolate.
- Scoop, then roll tablespoonfuls of dough. Place 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake for 12-14 minutes or till golden. Cool for a few minutes on baking sheet then remove to wire rack to finish cooling.
Please check out Dixie Crystals’/Imperial Sugar’s Bake it Forward Mission. It encourages making a difference by baking…and sending a tin of treats to share the love. You’ll love their idea!!!
Linked to: FriDays Made Sweet~