Chocolate Guinness Cake
Green desserts seem to be the trend when it comes to St. Patrick’s Day treats. But a delectable chocolate cake flavored with some Guinness definitely qualifies as celebratory Irish fare. The hubby is not a fan of mint, unless for toothpaste, or lime, so to celebrate his Irish heritage, this Chocolate Guinness Cake is the way to go.
A Nigella Recipe
This recipe is from Nigella Lawson, one of my favorite chefs. She adds some Guinness stout to her chocolate cake recipe and tops it with a cream cheese icing fluffed up to imitate the head of foam on your favorite brew. The first time I made this Guinness cake, it received mixed reviews, but both Katie and hubby loved it. Nick is not fond of cream cheese in anything, so I think that skewed his viewpoint. And Tom said it was fine, not exactly a glowing endorsement, but I did notice he ate a slice every night till it disappeared. I thought it was excellent! Note that the middle was sunken a bit with my most recent effort, but since the cake was cooked through (often undercooking causes an indentation along with a gooey raw middle), it just became a well for more frosting. No one complained about that! I could have easily trimmed it flat or flipped the cake over, but I thought of those options after I starting icing. Oops. It still looks pretty, at least I think so!
More Recipes You’ll Love:
- Guinness Double Chocolate Malted Milkshake with Baileys Whipped Cream from Foodie with Family
- Irish Cream Pots de Creme
- Guinness Beer Battered Onion Rings from Foodness Gracious
- Homemade Baileys Irish Cream
- Guinness Beer Beef Chuck Roast Recipe from Reluctant Entertainer
- Butter for pan
- 1 cup Guinness stout
- 10 tablespoons (1 stick plus 2 tablespoons) butter
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1¼ cups powdered sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350º. Butter a 9-inch springform pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a saucepan, combine Guinness and butter. Place over medium heat until butter melts, then remove from heat. Add cocoa and sugar, and whisk to blend.In a large bowl, combine sour cream, eggs and vanilla; mix well. Add Guinness mixture to bowl and whisk. Add flour and baking soda, and whisk again until smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan, and bake until risen and firm, 45 minutes to one hour. Place pan on a wire rack and cool completely in pan.
- Sift powdered sugar into medium bowl to break up lumps. Add cream cheese and blend until smooth. Add heavy cream and vanilla, and mix until smooth.
- Remove cake from pan and place on serving dish. Ice top of cake only, so that it resembles a frothy pint of Guinness.