Chocolate Angel Pie
It is one of our holiday traditions to have a chocolate pie (are you surprised?) at Thanksgiving along with pumpkin. This pie would work equally well as a Christmas dessert with its heavenly meringue crust and creamy chocolate filling. Bill’s Aunt Alice would make this chocolate delight when we dined at her house…she’d always have a homemade dessert…and her pies were outstanding. And I’d go home with a recipe card in my purse that would soon become splattered from overuse.
The kids don’t remember ever having this pie. I guess I need to go through my old fashioned recipe box and pull out some more treasured dishes and share the memories along with the recipe. Thanks to my friends, Kim and Jen, for including me in this holiday blogging extravaganza, #Christmas Week!
Welcome to day #5 of Christmas Week, a multi-blogger event co-hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Jen of Juanita’s Cocina. Today’s theme for Christmas Week is “Christmas Pies and Pastries”. Make sure you visit all the participating bloggers today to see what special dish they whipped up for you. I’m sharing an oldie but a goodie…a melt in your mouth, heavenly Chocolate Angel Pie. Please scroll down to the bottom to see the fabulous giveaway to celebrate the end of Christmas Week!
- Christmas Apple Pie from Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Fried Pies from Jen of Juanita’s Cocina
- Chocolate Angel Pie from Liz of That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cheese Danish Pie from Kristen of Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- Bakewell Tarts from Isabelle of Crumb
- Grasshopper Pie from Erin of Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Cranberry Fritters from Erin of The Spiffy Cookie
- Cinnamon Pecan Crescent Rolls from Ramona of Curry and Comfort
- Banketstaaf (Dutch Christmas Log) from Heather of Girlichef
- Raspberry Galette from Chung-Ah of Damn Delicious
Tip of the day: Your bowl and beaters must be scrupulously clean when beating egg whites. Any oil will prevent the whites from reaching stiff peaks. You will also get more volume from your egg whites if they are at room temperature.
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 4-ounce package Baker’s German Sweet Chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- Whipping cream, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 300º. Lightly grease 8 or 9-inch pie plate and set aside.
- Beat egg whites with salt and cream of tartar till foamy. Add 2 tablespoons of sugar at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating to very stiff peaks. Fold in vanilla.
- Spoon into prepared pie plate to form a nest-like shell. Bake for 50-55 minutes. Cool.
- Melt chocolate with water in microwave till smooth. Cool to room temperature and add vanilla. Fold in whipped cream and spread filling in the cooled meringue shell. Let chill at least 2 hours before serving. Top with whipped cream to serve.
Freund Container & Supply has generously donated $100 gift certificates for each #ChristmasWeek blogger to give away! Freund Container & Supply is the largest distributor of glass bottles, containers, and wholesale packaging supplies online. Freund offers over 5000 items in stock every day, 98% same day shipping and low-price guarantees. Take a look at Freund’s wide selection of jars, tins, bottles and vials for all your crafting and food related needs!
This giveaway is for one $100 gift certificate to Freund Container & Supply. The gift certificate will expire on March 31, 2013. The gift certificate is a one-time use certificate and must be used in its entirety; any leftover monies on the gift certificate will be forfeited. This giveaway is open to both US and Canadian residents. However, it should be noted that due to current International shipping rates, any Canadian winners will pay higher shipping costs for orders. The giveaway will run from today, December 7th, 2012, through Wednesday, December 12th, 2012.
Freund Container & Supply is also offering all #ChristmasWeek blog readers 10% off purchases from now through March 31, 2013. Simply enter code JINGLEME10 to receive your discount!
Congratulations to Erin, of The Spiffy Cookie! She won the Freund giveaway.
Follow Fruend on:
***Disclaimer: This giveaway is being provided by Freund Container & Supply. #ChristmasWeek bloggers have not been compensated as part of this giveaway.
My blog is changing over to a self-hosted WordPress blog today. So you may need to resubscribe or update your bookmarks. Fingers crossed for a smooth transition!!!