Chewy Cocoa Brownies
My sweet fellow blogger and foodie friend, Danielle, has done lots of bake alongs via her facebook page. Most of you realize my family has a special place in their heart for brownies; so when Danielle posted her “Best Frosted Brownies,” I knew I’d have to make them. There were years and years when my kids preferred Betty Crocker’s frosted brownies to anything I could ever make. It was the frosting that kept them addicted as it certainly couldn’t be the less than stellar brownie beneath. I took these on a weekend road trip with our neighbors who gave them rave reviews. The kids felt the same.
Hugs & Cookies XOXO
- 1⅔ cups sugar
- ¾ cup butter (1½ sticks), melted
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⅓ cups flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 1¾ cups plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 4½ tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350º. Grease 9 x 13 pan.
- Combine sugar, butter, and water in large bowl. Mix in eggs and vanilla. Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt into egg mixture. Stir until combined. Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake for 18-23 minutes (mine took 20 minutes) or until a toothpick inserted into the center of brownies comes out slightly sticky. Cool on wire rack while making the frosting.
- To make the frosting, place butter into a medium bowl. Sift cocoa and powdered sugar into the bowl. Add milk and vanilla. Using a hand mixer, beat till well combined. Spread on cooled brownies.