Nick Malgieri is one of my baking gurus. So I’m always delighted to find one of his recipes selected for Tuesdays with Dorie. This week’s pick was Cantuccini, a simple almond biscotti. These twice baked cookies were flavored with vanilla and just a touch of cinnamon. A perfect dunking cookie. Malgieri recommended vin santo, an Italian dessert wine, but coffee or tea will work splendidly, too.
I cut this recipe in half when I realized it yielded 8 dozen. No one in my household will eat nuts except me, so I saw no reason to have a lifetime supply of almond biscotti at my disposal. Malgieri’s notes stated that the dough might appear dry, but mine actually needed extra flour as it adhered to my hands while I attempted to knead it. That may have been due to my inaccurate measurement of half of an egg. But, no worries, they baked up just fine. I added some white chocolate drizzle just for fun…and sent most of them home with my coffee drinking son after he stopped by for dinner on Sunday night. Not sure he will eat nuts, but he has hungry friends who love home baked treats.
This Nick Malgieri recipe can be found here. All our Tuesdays with Dorie recipes can also be found in Baking with Julia .
Thanks to Cailee, of Hello Healthy Eating, for nominating me for the Liebster Award! She has requested that her recipients answer the following questions:
- What got you interested in blogging? I imagined it would be a way to chronicle my recipes to share with family and friends. Who knew it would snowball to what it is today????
- What are some goals you have for your blog? As with most bloggers, my main goal is to increase my audience. My friends and family are my best PR reps…even though some still think my blog is “That Skinny B**ch Can Bake” 😉
- How do you stay motivated to eat right and be active? I try to exercise every single day. I also eat every few hours to avoid that starving feeling…which tends to escalate into overindulging.
- What are some tips you have to increase motivation? LOL, I’m not very motivated, but I am into a routine. I try to block out an hour of treadmill time each day. If I’m booked with activities in the afternoon, I’ll make sure to work in some exercise that morning.
- What is your favorite ‘treat’ food? I love cookies…so I’ll generally have one or two after dinner. Everyone deserves a little guilty pleasure.
- In a typical day, what would you usually eat? Some of my favorite nibbles are whole grain bread, hummus, smoked salmon, berries, pineapple, carrot sticks…and, of course, a cookie or two.
- What is your workout routine? Hot yoga 3x/week, a walk/run combo on the treadmill 6x/week.
- Do you like to cook more or bake more? Definitely bake!
- How did you form healthy habits that last? My dad was a runner and hiking enthusiast. Through his example, my sisters and I learned to incorporate exercise into our lives from a young age.
- Do you restrict junk food or eat it in moderation? I rarely eat junk food. I love salty things so once I start eating chips or popcorn, I cannot stop. It’s easier jut to avoid those triggers.
All of my blogger friends are welcome to answer these questions, too. Consider yourself officially nominated for the coveted Liebster Award!!!