I have one of the pickiest husbands in the world. Just ask my friends. But despite his extra discriminating palate, he adores Blue Cheese Salad Dressing! I find this hard to comprehend, but I’m not complaining!
Blue Cheese Salad Dressing
Blue cheese is pungent to say the least. But when you add in some buttermilk, mayonnaise, chives and more, it mellows and becomes a perfect salad topper. Even Bill has grown extremely fond of this creamy dressing. Pretty exotic compared to his other two favorites, Ranch and French. He’d pick this blue cheese salad dressing over my homemade vinaigrette. Some things just cannot be explained! This dressing transforms a simple mixture of veggies into a spectacular side salad. In the style of a wedge, I added some bacon. Feel free to top wedge of iceberg lettuce with this dreamy, flavorful blue cheese salad dressing if that’s your preference.
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon celery salt
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese, I like Maytag
- Spinach or greens of choice
- Grape or teardrop tomatoes, cut in half
- Sliced cucumbers
- Chopped red bell pepper
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped
- Whisk together buttermilk, mayonnaise, shallots, chives, lemon juice, salt, pepper and celery salt. Stir in blue cheese, cover, and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Taste for seasonings and whisk in a little more mayo if desired.
- Add a handful of greens to each plate. Top with tomatoes, cucumber slices, peppers and bacon. Drizzle with dressing and serve.