Take advantage of the gorgeous citrus in the market and whip up these sublime Blood Orange Margaritas!
Blood Orange Margaritas for BloggerCLUE
This month’s Blogger CLUE theme was something sparkly. So when I spotted these stunning margaritas with their glittering rims on Lea Ann’s blog, Cooking on the Ranch, I knew I had my recipe. I have to admit that a classic margarita is my absolute favorite cocktail, but the aroma of this combination of oranges and limes swayed me to the dark side, the blood orange side. Just look at the vibrant color! If you can’t find blood oranges, feel free to use your favorite juice orange. They’ll be just as wonderful!
Lea Ann from Cooking on the Ranch
Lea Ann is a Denver based food blogger who adores both food and wine…as well as a fellow Sunday Supper participant. Her focus is on Southwest flavors, like these amazing margaritas. Please pop over and check out her terrific recipes. I’ve been eyeing her Pancetta Wrapped Shrimp (wouldn’t those be wonderful for the Super Bowl???) and her Chinese Chicken Salad (a healthier entree for the post holiday season). I know you’ll also be inspired, too.
The Rest of the Sparkly Blogger CLUE Lineup:
- Sparkly Shortbread Cookies from Lisa of Authentic Suburban Gourmet
- Cherry and Cream Pavlova from Ramona of Curry and Comfort
- Pomegranate Champagne from Christy of Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Rosemary Peach Sparkling Cocktail from Alice of A Mama, Baby and Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Baked Ziti from Azmina of Lawyer Loves Lunch
- Maple, Caramel, Golden Sugar Blondies from Kelli of Kelli’s Kitchen
- Strawberry Champagne Cocktail from Stacy of Food Lust People Love
- Milky Way Martini from Aly of Cooking in Stilettos
- Cornish Game Hens with Whisky Herb Citrus Glaze Lea Ann of Cooking on the Ranch
- Peach Buckle from Anna of Anna Dishes
- Potato Salad with Champagne Vinaigrette from Wendy of A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lemon-Ginger Crinkle Cookies from Jean of Lemons and Anchovies
- Soft Pretzel Sticks with Spicy Mustard Sauce from Heather of girlichef
- Sparkling Mojitos from Heather of girlichef
- Salted Toffee Chocolate Chunk Cookies from Liz of That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Blood Orange Margaritas from Liz of That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Cinnamon Rolls from Kate of Kate’s Kitchen
- Brown Butter, Brown Sugar Banana Bread from Christiane of Taking on Magazines
- Savory Clafoutis from Christiane of Taking on Magazines
- Cardamom White Chocolate Panna Cotta from Debra of Eliot’s Eats
- ⅔ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup silver tequila
- ½ cup Cointreau
- 2 cups fresh blood orange juice (about 6 oranges)
- A lime half for moistening the glass rims
- Kosher salt or sugar
- Juice the blood oranges. In a pitcher, stir together the lime juice, sugar and ¾ cup water until the sugar has dissolved. Add the tequila, Cointreau and blood orange juice.
- Rub the rims of three 6-ounce martini glasses with the cut side of a lime half. Spread coarse salt or sugar on a small plate and press the rims of the glasses until coated. Fill a cocktail shaker about ¾ full of ice and measure in 1½ cups of the cocktail mix for 3 drinks. Cover and shake for about 15 seconds to thoroughly chill the mixture. Strain into the glasses. Garnish the glasses with a slice of blood orange and a slice of lime if desired.