With only one of our children still in school, and that school being a university, our back to school routines don’t revolve around buying school supplies and packing lunch boxes. Instead, we have a big family meal before the big college send off. And at our house, these sorts of family gatherings call for throwing a big slab o’ meat on the grill and finishing off the meal with a rich chocolate dessert. This Berry Topped Chocolate Silk Tart would be an ideal selection for my youngest chocoholic.
Celebrate with This Berry Topped Chocolate Silk Tart
This tart was exactly how we love to end a special meal. I actually made this silky chocolate dessert for a small dinner party I hosted in July. Even after a multi-course meal, the dessert plates were wiped clean! The berry topping was a delicious way to feature the sweet fruit of summer, but just a dollop of sweetened whipped cream would work well, too. Scroll down to see all the other terrific recipes from the Sunday Supper contributors.
Serves: 8 servings
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- ⅓ cup milk
- ⅓ cup half and half
- ⅓ cup Kahlua
- 2 sticks of butter (1 cup), at room temperature
- 5 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 or 3½-pint containers of raspberries
- 1-pint strawberries, halved or quartered
- Seedless raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350º. Stir together graham cracker crumbs and butter till combined. Press mixture into bottom and halfway up sides of 9-inch springform pan. Freeze 15 minutes.
- Prepare the filling by combining chocolate, milk, half and half, and liqueur in a saucepan. Stir over medium heat until chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth. Gradually add butter, stirring till melted.
- Whisk egg yolks in a small bowl, then press through a sieve into a larger bowl to remove any chalazae (white parts). Gradually whisk warm chocolate mixture into yolks, then add corn syrup and vanilla. Pour filling into crust and bake till filling starts to bubble, about 15-20 minutes Cool on a rack, then refrigerate overnight.
- Carefully remove sides of springform pan. Arrange berries on top. Melt jam over medium heat, stirring frequently. Brush melted jam over top of berries.
Back to School Recipes:
Back to School Beginnings
- Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Muffins from Killer Bunnies
- Make Ahead Waffle Casserole from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Apple Muffins from Meal Diva
- Apple Oat Breakfast Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- Toast Three Ways from Foxes Love Lemons
Back to School Lunches and Simple Suppers
- Owl Bento Box from Simply Gourmet
- First Day of School Pinwheels from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Quick and Easy Hot Pastrami Sliders from Webicurean
- Grilled Chicken Revamp from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan from Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken and Zucchinin Meatballs from Casa de Crews
- Clean Eating Lunches Your Kids will Love from Amee’s Savory Dish
- Crispy Chicken Legs from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- DIY Veggie Cup Noodles from Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Nuggets from Nosh my Way
- Skinny Spinach Mac and Cheese from Take a Bite out of Boca
- Chicken Schnitzle from Panning the Globe
- Berry Nutty Bento from Ninja Baking
- Spagetti and Chicken Meatballs from Soni’s Food
- Chopped Shrimp Salad with Honey Lime Vinagraitte from The Weekend Gourmet
- Steak & Cheese Pockets from Momma’s Meals
- Turkey Pinwheels from Peanut Butter and Peppers
Back to School Sips
Back to School Super Snacks
- Nutty Granola from Life Tastes Good
- On the Go Guacamole from Shannon at Country Girl in the Village
- Cinnamon Caramel Apple Energy Balls from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Playground Granola Bars from Noshing with the Nolands
- Apricot Dip from Magnolia Days
- Parmesan Garlic Oven Roasted Chick Peas from Ruffles and Truffles
- Home Made Graham Crackers from Curious Cuisiniere
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Granola Bars from Pies and Plots
- Gluten Free Apple Zucchini Flax Bread from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Beef and Veggie Sliders from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Popcorn from Simply Healthy Family
- Frushi (Fruit Sushi) from Mama Bee Does
Back to School Sweets and Treats
- Open Face PB & J Cookies from Desserts Required
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Paletas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Love Note Doodle Bugs from Happy Baking Days
- Frozen Yogurt Mud Pies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Brown Butter Peanut Butter Crispy Treats from The Texan New Yorker
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here—>Sunday Supper Movement.