Apple Strudel Turnovers Improv Challenge
Adapted from a combination of Bon Appetit and Gourmet recipes
- 2¼ pounds baking apples (I used a combination of Granny Smith and golden delicious), peeled, cored and cut into ½ inch chunks
- ⅓ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1¼ cups butter, divided
- Zest of half a lemon
- 1 box frozen filo sheets, defrosted overnight in refrigerator
- 1 cup lightly toasted fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Lemon zest for garnish, optional
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Melt ¼ cup of butter in large saute pan. Add apples and toss to coat. Cook for a few minutes, till apples start to soften. Add lemon juice, sugars, cinnamon, ginger and lemon zest. Cook till sugars are dissolved and apples cooked through. Remove apples to bowl to cool. Reduce juices in pan by about half, till thick and syrupy. Add syrup to apples and toss.
- Melt remaining 1 cup of butter. Cut filo dough into 3 13 x4 inch rectangles. Stack rectangles and cover with plastic wrap, then a damp towel to prevent drying.
- Preheat oven to 400º. Line two baking sheets with parchment and set aside.
- Place one piece of filo on work surface. Brush with melted butter, then sprinkle surface with 1 teaspoon of bread crumbs. Place a second sheet on top of first and repeat with melted butter and bread crumbs. Keep stack of unused filo covered. Next, take a tablespoon of the apple filling and place on lower short end of the prepared dough. Fold flag style: first fold bottom right corner over the filling to line up with left side, creating a triangle. Continue to fold up the filo, enclosing apple. Brush top with melted butter, and trim any excess filo. Place on parchment lined cookie sheet. Repeat till you run out of filo or apples.
- Bake about 14 minutes, or till lightly browned. Cool slightly on rack.
- To make whipped topping, combine all ingredients and whip till soft peaks form.
- Serve warm with a dollop of whipped topping or ice cream, and a dusting of powdered sugar.
- Yield: Makes about 18.