I’ve made numerous potato galettes for my spud loving family, but this time, I pulled out all the stops. Fried, mashed and roasted potatoes are commonplace though always a welcome side dish at Chez Skinny Chick. But taking a little extra time to break out the mandolin and grate a little cheese made for a happy crew.
Celebrating Potatoes Around the World
Potatoes are so versatile—I’ve even made potato candy! They are popular across the globe, too, from potato gnocchi to potato dumplings to potato-topped shepherd’s pie. I looked to France for my inspiration, but instead of a dessert galette, I created this savory potato galette with layers of herbs and French Gruyere cheese.
The US Potato Board
Potatoes are a staple in the Skinny Chick household. I’m grateful to the US Potato Board for inspiring me with their tools and facts about potatoes. They are the nation’s potato marketing organization. Please connect with them via their social media sites:
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes (about 3 medium potatoes), peeled and sliced very thin (I used a mandoline)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6-8 tablespoons grated Gruyere cheese
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Mix together rosemary and thyme in a small bowl and set aside.
- Brush an ovenproof 10-inch skillet with some of the melted butter, reserve the rest
- Saute the shallots till tender, adding more butter if needed. Remove and let cool slightly.
- Brush more butter over the surface of the skillet, then arrange the slices from one potato into concentric circles, overlapping slightly. Brush surface of potatoes with butter, then sprinkle with about ⅛ teaspoon salt and a grating of pepper. Sprinkle with ⅓ of the herbs and ⅓ of the shallots. Sprinkle with about 2 tablespoons of Gruyere and 1 tablespoon of Parmesan. Repeat layering with the second potato and toppings and then the 3rd potato, ending with the cheese.
- Cover skillet with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook for 15 minutes more or till top is golden and potatoes are tender.
- Cut into wedges to serve.