Did you know you don’t have to cook your lasagna noodles before baking? And how about your sauce? Have you tried an uncooked version? This recipe adapted from Red Gold, purveyor of prime tomatoes, had a couple nifty short cuts that made creating this layered pasta a wee bit simpler. I took their Easy Classic Lasagna and with a couple tweaks transformed it into this Easy Sausage and Mushroom Lasagna.
I’ve made tons of lasagnas..or “rizzoni” as Katie dubbed it as a toddler. But I hate how many messy dishes there are to wash when it’s all said and done. I started soaking my lasagna noodles in hot water instead of boiling them when I learned of that short cut, and when no-boil pasta came out, I tried that as well. But the easiest time saving trick is to make a more watery sauce and just use the pasta straight out of the box. As the lasagna cooks, the noodles absorb the excess water and are cooked to perfection. And doubly nice is that this pasta sauce is uncooked; there are definitely less pots and pans to wash after the prep is finished. Red Gold also has recipes for Chicken Parmesan Lasagna, Fresh Harvest Lasagna and Eggplant Florentine Lasagna on their website…all based on the same Classic Lasagna from which this recipe was based.
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage links, sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (28 ounce) can Redpack® Crushed Tomatoes In Thick Puree
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans Redpack® Diced Tomatoes With Basil, Garlic & Oregano
- Salt to taste
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage, or lean ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1 (16 ounce) box lasagna noodles, traditional, uncooked
- 1 (15 ounce) carton low fat ricotta cheese
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- In a large saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add onions and mushrooms and cook till soft and slightly browned. Add to large mixing bowl. Add more olive oil if needed and cook sausage till browned on both sides. Add to the onions and mushrooms. Add REDPACK® CRUSHED TOMATOES in THICK PUREE and REDPACK® DICED TOMATOES with BASIL, GARLIC & OREGANO, salt, and water to the mixing bowl, stir to combine ingredients.
- Cover the bottom of a 9x13x2 inch greased baking pan with 1½ cups of sauce mixture. Arrange 1/3 of noodles on top of sauce, slightly overlapped. Top with ½ of ricotta cheese, 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and 1 cup of sauce. Repeat layers and top with last 1/3 of noodles and the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1 to 1½ hours; until noodles are cooked. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.