Savory Brioche Pockets #TuesdayswithDorie #BakingwithJulia

Our second Baking with Julia recipe this month was these Savory Brioche Pockets…full of caramelized onions, goat cheese with chives and blanched asparagus tips. Formerly daunting, making brioche is now a snap with a heavy duty Kitchen Aid mixer. The 15 minute kneading still needed to be completed on a low speed, but cleaning the bowl was the toughest challenge.

I really had no expectations from this recipe…I was in Orlando this past weekend for a food blogger conference, so had to work ahead to fulfill some of my blogging obligations. As these baked away, the kitchen filled with an incredible aroma…something about yeast…and onions… And these beautiful puffs of buttery bread looked and tasted as remarkable as they smelled. Bill was not impressed with goat cheese a few years back when it appeared on his gourmet pizza, but he’s mellowed a bit (don’t laugh…this is true!) through the years. Both he and my youngest adored their brioche pockets…and I took my obligatory sliver and concurred.

I tweaked the recipe only slightly…making the rounds of rolled out brioche dough only 3 inches in diameter vs. 4 1/2. I found it was easier to cut a larger top round instead of stretching the second piece of dough over the filling. I also did not fold and seal the edges, but instead, just pressed down with my fingers, and then an appropriate sized cutter. I should have sealed the seam with some water or milk, but I was still pleased with my results.

My friend, Carrie, of Loaves and Stitches, is our hostess for these Brioche Pockets…head over to her blog to find the recipe.

Comments

1. Your brioche looks so golden and delicious! Love the savory filling.

2. oh wow, these look amazing!

3. Love, love these:) This is something I would love to do, pastry, filling, my kind of recipe… love the poppy seeds on top and the taste must be amazing.

4. Happier Than A Pig in Mud says:

Absolutely gorgeous! These would be a very special treat indeed:@)

5. Yours are so pretty! I need to try this again with the proper flour. Ahem.

6. These look perfect.

7. Lora @cakeduchess says:

These are just gorgeous, Lizzy. I’d have a couple now for breakfast. :)

8. Diana @GourmetDrizzles says:

Incredible! Can’t wait to try these… and what amazing photos, too! ;-)

9. I adore savory, carby little bites like this – they are dangerous because I will eat them all.

10. Your pockets look great! I didn’t have any poppy seeds – was going to use sesame seeds instead but the cupboard moths beat me to those.

11. so so beautiful! Glad they were enjoyed

12. What can I say that will beat Bill and Nick´s comments about these??jaja They are really gorgeous Liz. But where´s the strawberry verdict?

13. Beautiful and delicious looking as always!! You never let any dish scare you off… this one would have scared me off working with dough… my nemesis. :) I love how you take a challenge… you’re a brave woman. :)

14. Absolutely gorgeous! I’m hoping to make these this week. I know they will be delicious – can’t wait.

15. Ahhh these look incredible! Looove

16. So pretty , Lizzy ! And perfectly-baked as well ! I love the savoury filling :)

17. What a great idea! These are beautiful!!! They looks very versatile! Can but filled with many different combination of ingredients!

18. Wow these look so delicious, they’re making me hungry. And they’re beautiful. Wish I could try one.

19. All I can say is WOW!!!! These look incredible!

20. Love the filling on these, and they are so pretty! I could go for one right now!

21. These are gorgeous Lizzy and I love the filling. Brioche is one of my favorite breads, I’m glad today (just today or whatever day you made these) that I don’t live next door. My nose would have lead me right to your kitchen and Bill and Nick might have had very sad faces.

22. Wow Lizzy these are Purdy!!!!!

23. These pockets look so flaky and delicious :D

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

24. Your pockets look perfect and gorgeous!!!!! it looks like a professional job!!!! well done!!!

25. These look so good. I would love to bite into one. I wish I could have been there to smell the aroma from the oven as they were cooking xx

26. They look gorgeous and filled with great stuff. This is a great recipe!

27. I’m bookmarking this page. Your brioche are gorgeous, Liz. And, yes, onion with goat cheese and asparagus in beautiful bread is the BEST!

28. I, too love the smell of yest and onions! And I love my very old Kitchen Aid. These look very special!

29. Everything you make looks so perfect! Like something out of a magazine. These are amazing and look delicious!

30. I’m loving this little pocket, it looks and sounds like it was incredibly delicious, Liz.

31. these are beautiful!! they sound truly lovely :)

32. These look spectacular, Liz. I’m sure the taste was out of the world.

33. These look great, I loved the idea of baking all the way through this cookbook so I joined up and this was the first recipe I tried. It was fun baking knowing that others from different countries were doing exactly the same thing. Great Blog!

34. Yours look like little tiny elves rolled up the edges so perfectly and with such precision. How do you do that? =) lol. Just perfect.

35. these brioche pockets look so incredible and sound so delicious.

36. What filling did you use for the dessert looking pocket with the raspberry? Looks divine!

37. These look beautiful! And absolutely delicious too! I have not tried goat cheese before, need to change that!

38. Nice photos! I love onions and pastry together so I would love these. Thanks for the inspiration!

39. Your brioche look amazingly tasty Liz! They are full of promises!

40. Beautiful (as always).

I am interested in the berry one…

41. they are so dainty and cute and rich and filling. Perfect for dinner parties and showers. wish I had seen this before i throw a shower this past weekend- it would have definitely been on the menu

42. These look soooo adorable and totally delicious!! YUM!

43. These savoury pockets look fantastic, Liz. Beautiful presentation too.

44. Liz, your brioche are almost too pretty to eat. I guess I might get over that fear quite quickly if you put one in front of me. Have a super week. Take care, BAM

45. Oh Liz these look beyond wonderful and so pretty. Nice composition in the brioche.

46. Liz, these are so gorgeous! I love the fillings you stuffed in there, too!

47. These look great! I’ve done almost nothing with brioche, and should play with it more – it has such great flavor. Or maybe bribe Mrs K R to play with it more – she’s the real baker. Hope you had a great time in Orlando, and thanks for this.

48. Lizzy,
    The brioche pockets start out looking like large ravioli – yum. Such a lovely recipe.
    Annamaria

49. These look like perfection! I bet the kitchen did smell heavenly!

50. Wow, this savory brioche look fantastic…I love how perfect they are…very versatile.
    Thanks for this inspiration and hope you are having a great week Liz :)

51. These look great- love that they can be both sweet and savory. So many possibilities!

52. I love every single ingredient you listed for these and I would not be able to stop myself from finishing the whole batch!

53. I know I should have made them–buy my gluten free daughter was visiting and I just couldn’t do that to her! I’ll bake it soon as it looks delicious.

54. Mmmm… Those look like the perfect side to any soup.

55. Yours look so pretty! I think I’ll make them smaller in future, too. With the oven spring, ours were hand-sized – delicious, but huge.

I notice you made some sweet ones along with the savoury. I wish I’d done that, too!

56. I love this recipe…I’ve made it twice from the Baking with Julia book..playing with different fillings… decorating the tops with herbs. After seeing yours..and how gorgeous they turned out.. the bug to make them again has bitten! Beautiful, Liz…just gorgeous! Glad your hub has mellowed to goat cheese ;)

57. Oh Liz, these look fantastic. I’m going to make them this week and hope they come out half as good. I’ll be tickled pink.

58. Donalyn says:

Holy cow, that looks good – it’s a beautiful combo of flavors – yum!

59. WOW!! These are incredible!

60. How clever!!

61. P.S. Orlando – hey, we’re headed there soon as well. :-)

62. Se ve muy tentador muy sabroso, sus brioches abrazos y abrazos.

63. Amy Tong says:

Oh my…these little pocket are gorgeous. I say, they would be the perfect item for a tea party. :) Can’t wait to give them a try.

64. Amazing. Beautiful presentation. Exquisite. Xx

65. What gorgeous uniform little pies. Goats cheese is wonderful mixed with other ingredients for pie filling.

66. These mini pockets look amazing! Fantastic job on presentation and getting them so uniform and perfect! Bravo Liz :)

67. easyfoodsmith says:

The savory brioche looks beautifully done! The golden colour is so perfect and so is the shape. Well done!

68. Wow are these not the most gorgeous things? Stunning! And the filling sounds gorgeous! Oh I have to get Baking With Julia now!

69. Oh wow oh wow these look yummy! :) perfect presentation