We’ve had some heartbreaking news about a cherished family member. Bill has had an especially tough time…and needed some comfort food. This month’s Improv Challenge ingredients are peas and carrots, so his favorite chicken pot pie came to mind. I’ve made this recipe numerous times…topping with puff pastry rounds or biscuits. I had a log of herb and garlic goat cheese in the fridge and I decided to make my favorite Goat Cheese Biscuits with a twist for the finishing touch this time. The resulting Chicken Pot Pie with Herbed Goat Cheese Biscuits was amazing!
Wow. Was this scrumptious. The biscuits were phenomenal…a must try. Light, moist and flavorful….the best I’ve ever had. I don’t think I can find a better chicken pot pie recipe. This is it. And the hubby agreed. Who knew goat cheese would be an easy sell. Maybe I’m finally rubbing off on him after 2+ decades of living with a foodie. About time!
Thanks to Kristen of Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker for being our gracious hostess. Please check her site if you’d like to join this wonderful group of bloggers and this monthly challenge where we’re assigned two foods to combine into one dish.
- Chicken Pot Pie recipe adapted from Pam Anderson:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, poached and chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced or chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, halved
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup flour (I use Wondra for a smoother sauce)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Biscuit recipe adapted from Art Smith:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) good quality goat herb and garlic goat cheese, cut into small piece
- 1 cup buttermilk
- About 1 tablespoon melted butter to brush on biscuits
- Heat oil in Dutch oven. Add onions, celery and carrots and cook for about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and bell pepper and cook till all veggies are soft. Season with salt and pepper and remove from pot to bowl.
- Heat butter in pan and then add flour. Cook for about a minute, then slowly whisk in milk and chicken broth. Add thyme and continue to cook and whisk till thickened. Add sherry, then taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chopped chicken, reserved veggies and peas to sauce. Mix then pour in casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 425º. Make biscuits.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into medium bowl. Add butter and goat cheese and with fingers, pinch and break apart pieces till mixture has the consistency of corn meal…some bigger pieces are OK. Add buttermilk and gently mix to form dough. You may add an extra tablespoon of buttermilk if needed.
- Pat out dough on floured surface.Cut into rounds and place over hot filling. Brush with melted butter. Place casserole on baking sheet to catch drips.
- Bake 12-14 minutes or till biscuits are browned.
- Yield:6-8 servings