Today I’m honored to be guest posting for my sweet friend, Roxana, of Roxana’s Home Baking. Roxana is featuring 25 Christmas recipes during this countdown to the holidays…many from her blogger friends…so get prepared to be inspired! Roxana is a fantastic bakers, so I’m certain I will find new ideas to add to my Christmas baking list.
I’m actually going to meet Roxana this weekend at Mixed…an amazing food blogger conference held at a resort in mountains of Virginia. I’m so excited to attend my first blogger event…I hope to pick up some tips to improve my blog, but even more thrilling is the chance to meet some foodie friends in person!!!! Kim, of Cravings of a Lunatic, and I will meet up at the airport…I have a feeling there won’t be a dull moment from that moment on! Thanks, Roxana, for inviting me to share a holiday cookie with your readers.
- 3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour, plus extra for rolling out dough
- Red sugar
- Silver dragées
- Beat butter, cream cheese and powdered sugar till well combined. Add egg yolk, vanilla and almond extract and mix till combined. Lightly beat egg white and reserve for later.
- Mix in flour, baking powder and salt, just till combined. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll half the dough slightly wider than 9 x 9 and about 1/8 inch thick. Using pizza cutter or knife, trim dough into a 9 x 9 inch square and then cut the square into nine 3 x 3 inch squares. Put about 6 squares per baking sheet. Brush each square lightly with egg whites. Sprinkle red sugar in the center of the square. Next, cut the dough diagonally from each corner to about 1/2 inch from center (4 cuts per square). Fold alternate corners of the square to the center to form a pinwheel. Press points gently to seal. Place 3 dragées in the center of each cookie and add more red sugar as needed. Repeat, rerolling any scraps of dough as needed, till all dough is used.
- Place the cookie sheet containing the shaped and unbaked cookies in the refrigerator for a few minutes if the dough gets warm and soft. Bake 9-12 minutes or till set. Remove cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- Yields: approximately 30 cookies.
Here is a link to my favorite sugar cookie recipe.