I have been drooling over some gorgeous blog photos of a striated sweet bread…all were adaptations of Flo Braker’s recipe for Lemon-Scented Pull Apart Coffee Cake. Since my hubby has a great fondness for orange rolls, I swapped the lemons for oranges in Flo’s coffee cake and created a special breakfast treat. Peeling apart the buttery layers, dripping with icing, we both immediately declared it a delicious success.
Next time I bake this, I’ll alter the icing to a simple glaze without cream cheese…but otherwise this coffee cake is spectacular as is…the dough is sweet and tender, and the orange zest infuses the loaf with citrusy goodness.
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast (one envelope)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons finely grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup (1 1/4 ounces) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Grease a standard loaf pan (mine is 8 1/2 x 4 inches).
- Mix 2 cups of the flour with sugar, yeast and salt in mixer bowl fitted with paddle attachment.
- Heat milk and butter just in microwave or on stove top, just till butter is melted. Add water, then allow to cool till just warm (120-130º). Stir in vanilla.
- Pour the milk mixture into the flour and mix till flour is just moistened. Add eggs, one at a time, beating till incorporated. Stop mixer and add 1/2 cup of the remaining flour and mix on low till dough is smooth, less than a minute. Add 2 more tablespoons of flour and mix again till dough is smooth, less than a minute.
- Lightly flour work surface and knead dough for about a minute. Add up to another 2 tablespoons of flour if dough is too sticky. Place dough in lightly greased bowl, cover, and place in a warm place till doubled in bulk, about an hour.
- Mix melted butter, sugar, and zest for filling. Set aside.
- Punch down dough, then roll into a 20 x 12 inch rectangle on floured surface. Using knife or pizza cutter, cut the dough into five strips...each 12 x 4 inches...use a ruler to be as accurate as possible (I trimmed some uneven edges). Spread filling over tops of each strip. Carefully stack all these strips on top of each other, so you have a stack of five 12 x 4 inch rectangles.
- Next, cut this stack into 6 equal rectangles, each two inches wide. Carefully, place each of these smaller stacks into the loaf pan, cut sides up. Cover and let rise in a warm spot till about doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350º. Bake for 30-45 minutes, depending on your oven, till top is browned. Cool on rack about 10-15 minutes then remove from pan to continue cooling.
- Make icing by beating cream cheese and powdered sugar till smooth. Add milk and juice, and mix till combined. Ice warm cake. Serve warm or at room temperature.